Saturday, August 17, 2013

The Call

I had not intended to watch this movie.  I was there when the movie was being watched and decided to give it a try.  The reason I was going to give it a miss is the fact that I am continually disappointed with Halle Berry's work.  I think her earlier work leads me to get my hopes up too high.  The second strike this movie had was it's association with WWE films.  How good could it be right?  The answer is pretty good actually.  This story of a kidnapped young woman and the 911 operator trying to find her provides a good deal of suspense.  The film is a tight game of cat and mouse which leaves you constantly wondering how is the villain going to get away now and how can the police possibly find him.  Abigail Breslin does a wonderful job as the frightened and tormented victim.  As good as the film is though, the message of the climax is a bit muddled.  It seems like the message is about women's empowerment but honestly left the viewers asking "why would they do that?".  The only other nit I would pick involves the villains motivation.  What is it?  It is never explained why he does what he does.  In some films this ambiguity would add to the tension but here an explanation would be nice.  Over all I would recommend this one on a night when you are bored and looking for something different.

No comments:

Post a Comment